Annual Plant Sale
Here are a few great ideas to help you shop smartly at San Francisco Botanical Garden Society’s Annual Plant Sale. This fantastic sale takes place Friday May 1 from 5–8pm (Members-Only Sale) and Saturday May 2 from 10am–2pm. The two sales are quite different, though most of these tips apply to both.
- The sale opens at 5pm on Friday and 10am on Saturday. Arrive early and avoid parking headaches by by valet parking at the event. The music concourse garage is also nearby, and you can pull your car around to the parking lot behind the County Fair Building, located off of Lincoln Way across from 10th Ave. when you're done. Volunteers will be there to help you.
- Become a member, so you can attend the Members-Only Sale Friday night to get first pick of plants and a shot at extraordinary Silent Auction specimens. Membership also gets you 10% off at monthly plant sales, purchases at the Garden Bookstore, and discounts at more than 70 Bay Area nurseries to enjoy during the rest of the year.
- Grab a shopping cart or basket to carry your treasures. Carts are at the entrance to the sale, or check by the cashiers. There are also cardboard boxes under most of the plant tables.
- Make a plan – view the floor plan (coming soon) before you shop, so you can start by looking for any particular plants you really want before they sell out. You can also get the map at the door before you head in.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions of our friendly volunteers. They are usually with their favorite plants and are very knowledgeable. UC Cooperative Extension (UCCE) Master Gardeners of San Mateo & San Francisco Counties will be there to help answer questions as well!
- The cashiers will accept cash, checks, and credit cards. Check the signs above them to see which cashiers take which forms of payment.
- If you're tired of lugging all your plants around, park them at Will Call (by the cashiers). You will be given a claim ticket. There is no quantity limit!
Friday Night Sale Tips
- Each valid membership card provides admission for one person to the Annual Plant Sale Preview on Friday night.
- Want to bring some friends along? Garden Lover, Garden Steward, Garden Conservator, and Strybing Circle members are mailed guest passes when they sign up for membership, and these may be used to bring friends to the event.
- Shopping carts and baskets are limited and sometimes all are in use on Friday. In that case, you can use one of the cardboard boxes that are stored under most of the tables.
- After you've found those must-have plants, head over to the auditorium to enjoy some food and wine while you browse the rest of the plants and books and bid on the Silent Auction.
- Garden Lover members and above are also invited to a special reception preceding the Annual Plant Sale Preview, from 4-5pm. Food, beverages, and good times will get you ready to make your way through the sale from 5-8pm.
- Not a member yet? Sign up online now or purchase a membership on your way into the event. You can also upgrade at the door to get a friend in. If you have any questions, or would like to join or renew your membership by phone, please call our Membership Department at (415) 661-1316 ext. 301 or email Membership@sfbg.org.
Back to Annual Spring Plant Sale