The San Francisco Botanical Garden Society is currently seeking an
Intern will assist the San Francisco Rec. and Park Nursery specialist in general maintenance of plants in the Garden's greenhouse, lathe house and nursery growing grounds. This position is for one year, eight hours per week.
- Fertilization, weed management, pruning, staking, irrigation
- Insect and disease identification and management using integrated pest management practices
- Transplanting of cuttings, seedlings, and nursery stock, movement of finished nursery stock to growing grounds
- Soil medium preparation, collection of seed and cuttings from the garden, propagation through cuttings, seeding, grafting, divisions, and layering.
- Some record keeping and research may be required.
Required Experience and Education
- Candidate must be currently enrolled in college studying one of the following disciplines: Horticulture, Botany, Environmental Science, Forestry, Landscape Design, Plant ID or Floriculture.
- Candidate must have completed one year of study in one or more of those disciplines.
- Candidate must have one year of work experience in the field of horticulture, gardening, floristry, or forestry, as well as some basic knowledge of plant propagation, nursery management, insects and plant diseases.
Apply to Carol Laughlin, Volunteer Services Manager, CLaughlin@sfbg.org or call (415) 661-1316 ext. 412 for more information.