The San Francisco Botanical Garden Society is currently seeking a
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Development, the Development Specialist provides comprehensive database administration and fundraising support for the Garden's Development Department. Duties include the timely and accurate entry, receipting and acknowledgment of contributions for all aspects of the fundraising program, regular reporting and analyses, and active participation in the planning of fundraising strategies and department events.
Position Title: Development Specialist
Reports to: Associate Director of Development
Employment Status: Full time, Exempt
About San Francisco Botanical Garden Society
San Francisco Botanical Garden Society (SFBGS) works in partnership with the City of San Francisco/Recreation and Park Department to support San Francisco Botanical Garden, whose 55 acres in Golden Gate Park and geographic and thematic gardens include more than 8,000 different kinds of plants native to California and from throughout the world.
SFBGS's twofold mission is to build communities of support for the Botanical Garden and to cultivate the bond between people and plants. With the help of its members, donors and volunteers, SFBGS funds and oversees Garden improvements, provides curatorial and plant collections management services, propagates plants for the Botanical Garden and for sale to the public, maintains the Helen Crocker Russell Library of Horticulture, offers year-round educational and community programming, operates the Garden Bookstore and Arbor (for plant sales), and welcomes visitors from San Francisco, the Bay Area and all over the world.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Database and Systems Management
- Effectively and efficiently manage donor database
- Gift processing and timely production of acknowledgement letters and receipts for all contributions, fulfillment of membership enrollment and renewals; and processing of pledge reminders
- In conjunction with the Associate Director of Development, maintain SFBGS's Raiser's Edge Practice and Procedures Manual to ensure accurate and consistent adherence to all approved protocols for gift handling, entry and acknowledgement, including the correct use of approved codes (eg: classification, constituencies, appeals, funds, etc.).
- Collaborate with IT on deployment and installation of RE Patches, Server and Client-Side updates.
- Stay current on best practices for database management of Raiser's Edge through Blackbaud Knowledge Base and other resources.
- Train staff, as needed, on Rasier's Edge.
- Track and report fundraising results, including: Contributed Income Report, a monthly fundraising report for board members and staff; weekly income report; yield analyses; and other reports as needed.
- Reconcile all contributed income with the Finance Office on a monthly basis.
- Provide prospect status reports for board and staff solicitors.
- Provide and track mailing and solicitation lists for membership appeals and renewals, special events, major gifts and other activities.
- General Fundraising Support
- Coordinate and execute direct mail, e-appeals, and acknowledgment letters.
- Liaise with public programs and education departments to track visitor information and lists.
- Participate in the development of annual fundraising plans through his/her participation in Development team meetings.
- Provide logistical support and coordination for special events (some evening and weekend hours).
- Train and supervise volunteers assisting with mailings and other work.
- Stay fully informed about the Garden and its programs, activities, and funding needs.
- The successful candidate will:
- Act as a best-practices leader in regards to Raiser's Edge and development operations.
- Be a team player.
- Establish and maintain a high level of customer service in all dealings with the public, donors, and SFBGS staff, board and volunteers. You will be friendly, courteous, patient, and responsive – over the phone, via email, and in person.
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality.
- Portray strong communication and interpersonal skills: effectively communicate with colleagues and supporters.
- Mange and plan multiple tasks with ease. The ability to prioritize and handle multiple assignments from identification to follow through and completion with a strong and persistent attention to detail.
- Strong PC computer skills and proficiency in MS Office Suite
Bachelor's degree required; minimum of three years professional experience in fundraising/non-profit environments, especially with database management, gift processing in Raiser's Edge, and Microsoft Excel. The ability to speak and write in business-level English is essential.
Demands of the Job
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Limited physical effort required; occasional lifting up to 30 lb.
- Must be able to walk up a flight of stairs.
- Limited exposure to physical risk.
- Some evening and weekend work required contingent upon level of fundraising activity during peak periods.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
Please submit resume and cover letter outlining background, experience and interest via email to: Lillian Archer, Associate Director of Development, firstname.lastname@example.org with subject "Development Specialist" in the subject line.
SFBGS hopes to fill the position as soon as possible. Interested applicants should apply at their earliest convenience. No phone calls please.
San Francisco Botanical Garden Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its diversity.